httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] HTTP htdigest or htpasswd usage?
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:02:27 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Peters, Michael D." <Michael.Peters@acbl.net>
To: "Users@Httpd. Apache. Org (E-mail)" <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 2:34 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] HTTP htdigest or htpasswd usage?

> I would like to allow my users to add | delete | modify the password files
> made with htpasswd or htdigest. I would like to do this through the
browser.
> Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can accomplish this?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michael D. Peters

This would probably require some program on the server to act as a
go-between, and to my knowledge has little or nothing to do with Apache, but
I may be wrong on that point.  What language are you using (getting
off-topic)?  If using Perl, there's an Apache::Htpasswd of various
Apache::AuthDigest modules available (just looked in CPAN, not sure if this
is the right module for you, but it looks like a good place to start).
Check out http://www.cpan.org/ for Perl modules.  If it's PHP you're using,
check out PHP's excellent manual, I'm sure they have features for this as
it's a common thing.  If it's some other language, I have no further
suggestions.  Basically you write some program which presents the user with
HTML in their browser (i.e. <form> with input fields and buttons), then
submit the form to the program, have some sort of "action" code and carry
out the requested action on the password file/database (display user, add
new, change existing, delete existing, etc.).

Leif