httpd-users mailing list archives

From "bruce" <bedoug...@earthlink.net>
Subject [users@httpd] apache virtual host setup...
Date Sun, 17 Aug 2003 18:30:34 GMT
Hey...

Wee're turning to this mailing list as a last resort!!!!!!!

Here's the situation. We have an application called Gforge (www.gforge.org).
We're trying to install/test it on our network. The application sits on an
Apache server. We want to be able to type:
	http://foo/ or http://192.168.1.77

and have the application appear.

We're running this app on a test network behind a cable modem/linksys
router. We have 5 systems in our test network. We have DNS set up to allow
each system to communicate with each other, and resolve correctly (we
think!). Port forwarding within the Linksys router has been set to permit
port 22 to be redirected towards the Linux server that's running the Apache
Server.

Our goal is to be able to SSH into the Linux server, and access the gforge
application on our test server, over the SSH connection.... This would allow
us to access the gforge application from outside of our network, over a
reasonably secure channel....

THE PROBLEM:

We'd like to know how to go about correctly setting up a "virutal host" for
the application. Currently, we can type:
	http://192.168.1.77
the url in our browser then displays the page of the app, with the router IP
ADDRESS!!!!!!! It's as if it's somehow being redirected towards the Router
IP Address!!!

We can supply the httpd.conf file if required. We didn't just want to dump
the file here, unless there's someone who might be able to help!! (No need
to take up additional bandwidth)...

We really need help!!!! We kind of think that we're missing something that's
realtively small, but critical.....

We currently have the httpd.conf file configured so that the DocumentRoot is
pointing towards the gforge application, which is not what we want!!!

Any offers of assistance will be greatly appreciated.

If you're close enough, we'll even buy you lunch!!!

Thanks for any help/assistance you can provide with this....

Regards,

Bruce Douglas
bedouglas@earthlink.net
(925) 866-2790