httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache Will Not Start
Date Fri, 29 Aug 2003 15:42:50 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "mgarriss" <mgarriss@earthlink.net>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache Will Not Start

> Boyle Owen wrote:

Agreed.

> instead pointing to a FAQ (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html)
> or a mailing list tips page (no time to find a good one right now)

there's a link to  Eric S. Raymond's "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way"
( http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html ).  For those of us
answering questions, maybe we should consider "How To Answer Questions The
Smart Way" (yet to be written?).  :)

> instead.  Apache is a great project and we should not scare away people
> who might be switching from IIS. :)

Hopefully not scaring people away, but as with any change of software, or
any expansion of knowledge, there's a learning curve, so you've got to read
docs, FAQs, README and INSTALL files, man pages, and a few Google searches,
and bring a readiness to do some of the work when asking a question.  Be a
part of the process, not just dropping a question and hoping everyone else
answers it.  Got to try things, keep notes on what works for you, etc.

> just my 2c

Likewise.

Leif