httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.47 cannot view web pages via browser
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:28:19 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "ohbaby33 GT" <ohbaby33@hotmail.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.47 cannot view web pages via browser

> Leif,
> 1. The non operating system is the D drive instead of C where windows is
> installed on the 2000 Server.

Shouldn't be a problem, as I've used it successfully on the system drive,
drives D:, E:, F:, and mapped drives which were SMB shares (from a Samba
server on a Linux box).  Just make sure you've edited the httpd.conf to
point the directives (i.e. Directory, ScriptAlias, etc.) to the right
location.

> 2. The index.html file is in the httpd.conf.
> 3. What accounts have read and execute? Does system need Read and Execute
> permission. Shall I give everyone read and execute to the httpdocs folder?

When I had Apache on Win2k, I had some trouble getting Apache running under
a non-Administrator user, so I left it running as Administrator.  Probably
not the best thing to do.  But I couldn't get Apache to properly access
anything on a shared drive that was password protected, even though all the
usernames and passwords were correct.

> 4. All I want to do is install Apache on a Win2k box and look at the
default
> page. I was thinking of getting away from IIS and wanted to test Apache
out.

Well, I've just installed 2.0.47 on win2k and with the domain of "localhost"
and the servername of "localhost" and an email address, and no other
configuration whatsoever, I was able to see the test page.  For what it's
worth.  So if you installed in one place then moved the htdocs folder
elsewhere, I'd try and use the most restrictive set of options, i.e. allow
the same user that Apache (supposedly) runs as on win2k full control.  If it
doesn't work, try everyone read access.

Oh I'll just kill some time and try it here and see what happens.  Just try
changes incrementally and observe results.  Changing the service to Log On
as a local user (type Restricted User, group Users), then I'll see if I can
view the test page.  Service fails to start.  Reason: didn't change owner of
logs folder to the new user, so server can't write to logs.  Changing ACL of
logs folder to include this user.  Service starts, can view test page.
Moving htdocs to another drive (delete old copy or rename folder).  Editing
httpd.conf to reflect this change (open in notepad, search for htdocs).
Find directives DocumentRoot and Directory pointing at C:/Program
Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs and changed them to F:/htdocs .  No more
instances of htdocs to change in httpd.conf.  Restart service.  Works fine
(not cached).  So I think I've just achieved what you're trying.

Hope this helps.

Leif

> >From: "ohbaby33 GT" <ohbaby33@hotmail.com>
> >To: users@httpd.apache.org
> >Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.47 cannot view web pages via
browser
> >Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:41:21 -0400
> >
> >Leif,
> >1. The non operating system is the D drive instead of C where windows is
> >installed on the 2000 Server.
> >2. The index.html file is in the httpd.conf.
> >3. What account have read and execute? Shall I give everyone read and
> >execute to the httpdocs folder?
> >
> >>From: "Leif W" <warp-9.9@usa.net>
> >>To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
> >>Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.47 cannot view web pages via