httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Chad Thompson" <c...@weblinkservices.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: [May be Spam]Re: [users@httpd] Redirect syntax
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:43:01 GMT

> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Chad Thompson wrote:
>
> > I have 3 different webservers within my lan.  Apache, IIS, and
SwiftForth.
> > All of my traffic comes into my Apache, then I am supposed to redirect
what
> > I need out to the others.  This is where I get stuck.
> >
> > I have
> > Redirect permanent /dialer http://172.26.0.103
> > ProxyPass       /dialer http://172.26.0.103
>
> These two directives conflic.  Either you Redirect, or you proxy, but you
> can't do both.  Redirect tells the client to request the new URL, while a
> reverse proxy gets the new url itself and returns it to the client.  See:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/urlmapping.html#redirect
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_proxy.html#forwardreverse
>
> > My problem comes when i try to redirect a full domain to the IIS box.
> > I even tried redirecting all other traffic to the IIS box... but to no
> > avail.
> >
> > Redirect permanent *[^dialer] http://172.26.0.75
> > ProxyPass       *[^dialer] http://172.26.0.75
> > ProxyPassReverse        *[^dialer]   http://172.26.0.75
> >
> > Am I heading in the right direction?
>
> You'll probably need to use mod_rewrite for this.  Something like
>
> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/dialer
> RewriteRule /(.*) http://172.26.0.103/$1 [P,L]
>
> RerwiteRule /(.*) http://172.26.0.75/$1 [P,L]
>
> Replace the P flag with R if you want a redirect rather than a reverse
> proxy.

Ok, I thnk I understand the distinction between Proxy and Rewrite now....  I
dont think however that rewrite is what I need.  (Please correct me if I'm
wrong :-)

I have only one place of entry for the world to see my 3 webservers.  If I
rewrite, that will tell the world to look for a different external ip to
find the pages, and I have only 1 external IP.... right?

If I proxy, it works well.  But there doesnt seem to be a ProxyPassMatch to
allow wild cards and regular expressions.

Is there a way to do wild cards with ProxyPass?... or any other ideas?

Thanks
Chad