httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] SSL on windows module
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:31:16 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eruch Kapadia (ekapadia)" <ekapadia@cisco.com>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2003 6:12 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] SSL on windows module

> Folks,
>
> I am a newbie to win 2k.  I have installed the Apache  for Win2k but
> noticed that when I changed the httpd.conf files to load the ssl module, I
> get a startup error saying mod_ssl_so was not found in the modules

mod_ssl isn't compiled into Apache (or as a module) in the windows binary.
That is why the binary distributed has "no_ssl" in the filename. I'm not
sure exactly why, but it's probably due to some US export restrictions on
cryptogaphic code in binary form or something.

> directory.  Can anyone direct me
> 1) On a location to acquire the mod_ssl_so for the Apache Win 2k

You'd have to know how to build C programs under Windows (i.e. get the
cygwin system to get all the free software compilers, etc.), and then
download the Apache source code, configure, and compile it all from source,
as the mod_ssl source is included in Apache 2.0.47.  This is the normal way
things are done in the Unix world anyways, and all the tools are already
there.  Anyone who offers to give you a mod_ssl.so probably should be
suspect and not trusted, as they could very well have tampered with the
source code.  Make sure you get the source code from the website (or mirror)
and check it's PGP authenticity to make sure your code is clean.

> 2) On how to configure ssl for win 2k

I have no idea how to compile anything under win2k, as it's usually
redundant to get all the tools which I already have running on a Linux
system to run on a windows system.  After you have built your own binary of
Apache, then check the config files and docs before coming back to the list,
as configuring things should be pretty straightforward on windows.  I ran
unencrypted VirtualHosts with Apache on Win2k, and when I wanted to play
with SSL, I just migrated to Linux.  I copied my VirtualHosts and needed to
change only the paths.  So basic things should be pretty simple on both
platforms.

Hope this helps,

Leif