httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to allow from non-reversible host name?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:17:37 GMT
Joshua,

"Joshua Slive" <joshua@slive.ca> suggested:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
> > OK, I know how to do:   allow from <dotted IP address>
> > and I know how to do:   allow from <domain suffix string>
> > but how do I do:        allow from <non-reversible host by name>
> >
> > Apparently, the allow from mydomain.tld works by taking the requester's
IP
> > address and doing a reverse lookup to get the domain, and then doing a
> > string match.  What I want is for httpd to lookup the IP address of the
> > symbolic name I provide, and do an exact match against the IP returned.
>
> I agree that this doesn't look possible.  It also doesn't seem all that
> desirable as a general feature.  The obvious way to do this of course is
> to simply substitute the IP addresses yourself, or use a configuration
> preprocessor to substitute them if you need it done automatically.
>
> Perhaps if you explained why you don't want to substitute the IP
> addresses, someone might have an idea of how to address your problem.

The use case is simple and not uncommon: a client domain mapped via a
dynamic DNS service to a dynamic IP.  The reverse lookup for the IP is
typically something useless like zzz-yyy-xxx-www.network.net.  For example:

   sliva.dyndns.org => 67.68.200.12
   67.68.200.12    => Toronto-HSE-ppp3774669.sympatico.ca

Seems to me that this can be addressed by something using

  ... if IP == IP of sliva.dyndns.org set let_me_in ...
  Allow from env=let_me_in

So then what is the cleanest and most efficient way to set the environment
variable?

    --- Noel