httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jason Cicillian" <jacre...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Basic index.html Problem
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2003 09:43:38 GMT
Thank you both for your help....I double checked my spelling of the index page...it's all lowercase
(and Linux IS case-sensitive) and it ended in .html    BUT, just to take advice, I added changed
the DirectoryIndex setting to index.html Index.html index.htm Index.htm  and it worked with
just typing the IP address!  Weird!
But, thanks...
Jason
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Alfredo Gómez Grande
  To: users@httpd.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 4:03 AM
  Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Basic index.html Problem

  Q= When going into a web browser, it WON'T find the index.html automatically.  I have to
specifiy, 12.209.236.180/index.html  in order to load it up.

  A= I had that same problem. I discovered it was due to not specifying the main file extension,
as our friend says below. All my "index" files were .htm and Apache was initially configured
under the DirectoryIndex directive to access only .html files, so I had to modify this directive
and to include the .htm extension. Another thing, that I don't know is if in Linux this is
case sensitive and you have to write all the combinations.

  DirectoryIndex     index.htm index.html Index.html Index.htm