httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Johnson <mjohn...@pitsco.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Sending directory trees to a single file
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 20:30:10 GMT
Hello all.

This is a problem and not a problem for me. Apache is doing what I want,
but I don't know how. The reason I'm posting is to see if I can figure out
how and why Apache is doing what is.

I have a single script (in PHP, incidentally) that I want to have process
all the files in a designated directory tree. For example, I want

  http://example.com/path/script/paramter/or/something

to be handled by
 /docroot/path/script.php

I have a script2 in the same directory as script that I want to be handled
similarly.

I have been using mod_rewrite to do similar things so I took that approach
with this. But when I decided to move the .htaccess file implementing the
rewrite I took it temporarily out of service. And the links still worked as
I wanted!

I can't find anything that does this besides mod_rewrite. I searched the
documentation and online via Google. And since I pulled the .htaccess files
out (rm'd them!) I don't know why this is working. I do have the MultiViews
option turned on. Does that maybe have something to do with it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the way things are functioning. However,
this project will be distributed to different setups and I need to know
what configuration is required to get the functionality.

Thank you very much,
Michael

--
Michael Johnson < mjohnson@pitsco.com >
Internet Application Programmer, Pitsco, Inc.