httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Mark A. Marcello" <mmarce...@rhnet.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] UseCanonicalName question
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:45:30 GMT
users@httpd.apache.org writes:
>Likely, yes. This should not be such a hard thing; I have it working without
>even thinking about it. Could you describe better what you are seeing? Do
>you mean that when you type http://www.testone.com/, you will be redirected
>to http//www.finaldest.com/, or is when you enter something like
>http://www.testone.com/some_dir (without trailing slash) you get redirected?
>And, if you have any funny setup (SSL, rewrite rules, redirects) it is
>useful to know.

My exact use is like this.  We have a bunch of URL's that we are geting rid of, something1.rhnet.org,
something2.rhnet.org, ect.....    and then we have our development site dev.instruct.rhnet.org.

We want something1.rhnet.org, something2.rhnet.org and any other ones to go to dev.instruct.rhnet.org/index.html.
 This is working.  This is just a simple dns record pointing one URL to a particular
web server.

The second thing that I want to happen, and which is not working is I want the URL to be what
they type in.

For example.

The user types in something1.rhnet.org
	server loads up dev.instruct.rhnet.org/index.html
	I want the URL to be something1.rhnet.org, not dev.instruct.rhnet.org

The reason behind this is I am going to parse the URL the user types in, and with one simple
lasso script on the index page, redirect it to the new page, that we decide.  I just dont
know why the
UseCanonicalName off is still alowing something1.rhnet.org to be changed to dev.instruct.rhnet.org

--mark

p.s.   If it helps at all, it is also taking on /index.html to the end of dev.instruct.rhnet.org.
 So if you type in something1.rhnet.org the actual URL that appears is
dev.instruct.rhnet.org/index.html