httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problem with multiple virtual hosts and dynamic dns
Date Sat, 26 Jul 2003 16:30:13 GMT

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Gregg Donley wrote:

> Thanks Joshua and Jeff for the responses. My domains are registered
> though registerfly and they provide
> what they call "URL Framing" but I am not sure about the specifics of
> how that works. The dynamic dns
> I am currently using is though tzo.com, but I have considered trying
> some others so see if that makes any
> difference. I guess I don't understand exactly what information apache
> uses to select the virtual host. I
> though it was something in the http request that was sent by the client,
> but I could be wrong. As for the
> back-slashes mentioned in the other response, I don't think they are an
> issue on a windows box, they've
> always worked fine for me.
>
> I think I'll try to sniff some packets with and without the dynamic dns
> and see what changed.

No need to sniff packets.  Just look at the source of the page that your
clients are seeing.  If you see the IP address of your box (which I am
sure you will), then that is what the clients will be accessing, and that
is what apache will be seeing.  Clearly there is no way to do virtual
hosts like this.

Joshua.