httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie Install Questions
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:27:37 GMT

To start, don't take all those questions so seriously.  They are just
filling in default values in httpd.conf.  You can always (and often
should) go in and change them later, after consulting the appropriate
documentation.

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, David Blomstrom wrote:
> "1. Network Domain. Enter the DNS domain in which your server is or will be
> registered in. For example, if your server's full DNS name is
> server.mydomain.net, you would type mydomain.net here."
>
> I don't have a clue what they're talking about. My website is at
> www.geobop.com,

Use geobop.com.

No.  Use www.geopbop.com.

> I'll be the only one using my computer, but I assume I have to make some
> sort of allowance for my Windows XP server, IIS. Apparently, IIS isn't even
> running yet, because my webpages preview with a "file" prefix. Do I have to
> get IIS up and running now, or can I just deal with Apache first, then go
> back and set up IIS later?

Apache certainly doesn't depend on IIS.  In fact, if you run them both,
you need to assign one of them to a non-standard port or IP address.  You
can't run two web servers on the same port/ip address.

Joshua.