httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] trouble with content negotiation
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 23:58:53 GMT

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> using type-maps (adding 'AddHandler
> type-map .var' to httpd.conf, and 'Options -MultiViews' in .htaccess), i
> just get 404 errors when trying to access the image without an
> extension.

This won't work.  If you want to use type-map negotiation, the client must
request the type-map file (.var) directly.

> if i turn
> MultiViews on, it _appears_ to work, but the results are weird.  mozilla
> is sending the server an Accept: header with image/png before image/jpeg
> (with the same q= setting), but apache seems to be returning the jpeg
> for some of the images and a png for others (it's always the same ones).

If the q= setting is the same, then apache is perfectly free to choose
whatever image it wants.  I'd have to go through the code to be sure, but
I suspect that it is sending the smaller ones.  Unfortunately, I don't
think that there is any way on the server-side to specify a priority
listing for content-type (like LanguagePriority does for language).

Joshua.