httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0.43 rather slow in Windows
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 17:21:47 GMT

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 io219@comcast.net wrote:

> --> Wednesday, July 30, 2003, 9:02:28 AM, you wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 io219@comcast.net wrote:
> >> Right now it gets a curious 161 pages per second, while IIS gets 1061 (just
>
> > Second, I would not expect apache to perform as well as IIS on static
> > files, but I agree that the performance you are seeing seems low.
>
> Would you expect it to perform as well as IIS on dynamic files?

It depends entirely on the type of dynamic file.  In general, IIS is going
to be faster than apache since it is essentially a kernel-embedded HTTP
server.  But for many (if not most) types of content and networks, the
difference will be irrelevant since the limiting factors will be network
and dynamic content generation speed.

> > Some things to think about:
>
> > 1. You should be using the most recent version of apache, not a several
> > release old one.
>
> I'll try to get a more recent version when I have time to spend two days
> finding the external modules which work with that specific micro-version.
> I don't know if this is just a Windows only problem, but I hate it.

Versions greater than 2.0.41 have a compatible module API, so you should
be able to upgrade without changing modules.

> > 2. The setting of ThreadsPerChild will be very important.  It must be
> > adjusted to your load and hardware.  If you have spare processor and
> > memory, you should be raising this.
>
> I lowered it once I understood it, but it had no great effect on benchmark.
> MaxRequestsPerChild has a drastic effect, but I find the default of 0,
> unlimited, gives the same performance as setting it very large.

Did you try raising ThreadsPerChild?

> > 5. There is a bunch of performance advice at
> > http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html
>
> Perfect, this helped me find something truly important:
>
> AllowOverride None, I had it to All. Upon changing that line, the benchmark
> score for Apache went from 161 to 365. Still slower than the thttpd port at
> 460, and IIS at 1061, but it is much better than before.
>
> I will upgrade to the latest micro-version of Apache, but I doubt it will
> change anything. If it DOES change anything, I will report back here.
>
> Any other ideas? I think I will bechmark from Linux today on this machine.

The other obvious one would be mod_cache+mod_mem_cache.

Joshua.