httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] HTTP performance
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 14:05:59 GMT

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Koen Vingerhoets wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a moderate problem at work.  We use WebSphere, and recently we've
> encountered a load of problems.
> Of course, fingers are pointed at me since no one really knows WebSphere and
> I admin the http servers.
>
> Can someone sent me a http.conf file tuned for performance??  I've searched
> for it on the web... I want to cross-check it with my configuration, and
> show them a detailed comparison.

Tuning for performance is not an on/off switch that you can flick.  It
depends entirely on your load characteristics and the hardware you have
available to serve it.

An httpd.conf designed for high performance is distributed with apache in
the conf/ directory, but it really just turns off a bunch of features.  A
bunch of performance tuning advice is also available here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/misc/perf-tuning.html

But, as it seems you've already guessed, it is very likely that the
performance characteristics of your dynamic pages will overwhelm any
performance effects of the underlying server.

Joshua.