httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] machine slowdown
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:31:18 GMT

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Martin Sarsale wrote:
> This is the problem: we're having a big number of connections (about 100
> simultaneous clients with peaks of 250 (then, MaxChildren is reached))
> and after the server is running for some time, it stops answering
> requests and the system becomes _very_ slow: it's not possible to log in
> via ssh and when login via the console everything works really slow
> (some seconds pass between each program executed).

> Mem:   255516K av,  252064K used,    3452K free,       0K shrd,    1548K buff
> Swap:  408796K av,  350988K used,   57808K free                   14328K cached

You are out of memory.  The system is swapping back and forth to disk and
thrashing itself to death.  To verify this, there is probably a program on
linux that will tell you the exact swapping activity.  I don't remember
what it is, however.

Some ways you can fix the problem:

1. Reduce MaxClients.  You said you did this, but obviously you haven't
reduced it enough since you are still out of memory.

2. Buy more memory.

3. Try to trim down apache so that it takes less memory.  Do you really
need all those modules?  How much memory is each httpd using?

4. Try apache 2 with a threaded mpm like worker (but make sure all the
modules you need are supported).

5. You can also try reducing the KeepaliveTimeout, which should help get
rid of some of the requests in the "K" state in your server status report.
But that probably won't be enough to solve your problem, since most of the
requests are in "W" (sending response).

Joshua.