httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Problem with multiple virtual hosts and dynamic dns
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 15:27:34 GMT

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Gregg Donley wrote:

> I have three domains for which I am hosting websites on my windows box.
> All three domains
> use url framing to point to the same dynamic dns host.  The problem is
> that apache seems
> unable to distinguish between the three domains and access the correct
> virtual host container, it
> sends them all to the default virtual host.  Creating an additional
> virtual host with the name of the
> dynamic dns host confirms that apache is seeing that host name rather
> than the host specified by the
> client.  Is this the expected behavior?  It there a way to have multiple
> domains point to the same
> dynamic dns host and still have apache distiguish between them and
> direct them to different
> virtual hosts?

You need to describe exactly how the url framing and "pointing" is
working.  There are many variations on this.

>From your description, I would guess that the domains don't actually point
at your server; they point at another server that then sends a frameset
which in turn sources a frame using your IP address.  If this is true,
then it will not work with virtual hosts.

Look at it from apache's perspective.  All apache sees is the request
coming in on the IP address.  There is no way for apache to know that the
original request was from a different hostname.

Joshua.