httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Host Help Needed ASAP!!
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:02:43 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Tatineni, Shobha, ALABS wrote:

> Hi All,
> 	We have a requirement to configure apache so that we can share
> apache among mulitple companies that would be accessing our resources on
> one Sun box. I have never used Virtual Hosts, although I configured
> apache with minimal requirements. I have a presentation tomorrow and I
> need to do a proposal. We would like to share as much resource as
> possible among the companies.  Can somebody briefly give me an idea how
> I can acheive this? Also, Suppose the Apache server is shared
> (accessible) by Company X and Y, how would you set up access control,
> that firm X cannot access firm Y's resources?
>
> Would really appreciate if somebody could respond quickly.

This is not a well-formed question.  We have no way of knowing what you
mean by "resource", what kind of "access control" you require, etc.  Your
question is sort of like walking into a hardware store and saying, "I want
to build a house, what do I do?"

Apache has very flexible support for virtual hosting.  But since I have
no ideas what your requirements are, I can't say if it can do what you
need.

In general, the more specific the question you ask, the better response
you will get on a technical list like this one.

Joshua.