httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] port redirect (separate, but related issue)
Date Sun, 06 Jul 2003 19:27:56 GMT

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Aaron Morris wrote:
> In the Apache documentation for "UseCanonicalName" it says:
> "With UseCanonicalName off Apache will form self-referential URLs using
> the hostname and port supplied by the client if any are supplied..."
>
> But from my experience and as is evident from this thread that Apache
> does NOT use port information supplied by the client to form
> self-referential URLs (it uses the port the connection was made on).

The documentation could use some improvement.  Feel free to make
suggestions.

But I don't think the existing docs are strictly wrong.  The fact is,
the "port supplied by the client" could refer to one of two things.  The
client supplies a port by connecting to the appropriate port; the client
also supplies a port in the Host: header.  For hostname, it is simpler,
because there is no way to tell what "hostname" the client connected to,
so apache must use the one in the Host: header.

The docs should probably note that the port used is the connection port,
and not the port in the Host: header.

In general, well-configured hosts and simply use "UseCanonicalName On" and
make this problem go away.

Joshua.