httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] International Characters and Apache 2.0.45
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:30:21 GMT

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Richard Crawford wrote:
> "The problem is this: we have as part of our website a Spanish class, which
> requires students to input their replies in a form by entering special
> characters (e.g., ù or á or ¿) using the alt keys and their numeric
> keypad.  [ALT}=[1][6][8] produces ¿ foe xample.  But when the form is sent
> to the instructor, the special characters are presented as an = sign plus a
> hexadecimal code.
>
> "I suspect that this is going to turn out to be an Apache issue, but I'm
> not sure; it was working fine when we were using WindowsNT with IIS and
> Cold Fusion (note: I am not saying "WindowsNT is better than Unix"; may God
> strike me dead if I utter such blasphemy)."

Ewww, i18n in forms is a nasty issue.  I know virtually nothing about it,
but there is a good article here:
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/form-i18n.html

I think it is very unlikely that apache has anything to do with the
problem, however.  The browser is doing the correct thing in escaping the
characters, and then the server-side script (cold fusion in this case)
needs to be able to recode to whatever you want in the end.

If nobody around here can help you, I'd suggest a cold fusion forum, or
see if you can find some html experts with experience in i18n.

Joshua.