httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] port redirect
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:52:03 GMT

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, torsten herden wrote:

> sorry,
>
> the version is 1.3 ,
>
> the apache should run on port 85 because it is an
> another instance as running on port 80.
>
> A Client connects to an LoadBalancer on Port 80
> and then the LoadBalancer connects to Port 85.
> Then the apache answers with Port 85. If the client
> connects now to Port 85 there will be a problem
> because
> port 85 is not allowed in Front of the LoadBalancer
> like you see in the output:
>
> Making HTTP connection to www.blabla.de:85
> Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.
>
> You see the problem ?
>
> So how could an apache running on port 85 answer with
> port 80 ?

Whew, finally a few useful details ;-)

Anyway, the answer remains the same, but I can now be more specific about
how to impliment it.  Place the following in httpd.conf (in place of any
existing Listen/Port directives):

Listen 85
Port 80
ServerName www.blabla.de
UseCanonicalName On

The Listen directive sets the actual port that apache will use to answer
requests.  Port and ServerName tell apache how to identify itself when
sending redirects.  UseCanonicalName tells apache to ignore the port and
server name specified by the client in its request.

Joshua.