httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Kanta Jiwnani <ka...@cs.umd.edu>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache on Unix vs Apache on Windows
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:42:49 GMT

Thanks Jeff. I agree with you. I even found a reference at NetCraft
supporting your argument at
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2003/02/25/apache_on_windows_struggling.html

Thanks for your feedback,
Kanta

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Jeff Cohen wrote:

> I have a simple answer for you, Performance! Linux is well known in
> performance with apache\oracle\mysql and many other more, although they ALL
> work on various platforms, most system admins prefer using Linux because of
> manageability, performance and cost.
>
> And I do NOT agree that there are more *bugs* in the apache based on win32
> environment than in *nix systems.
> I think that just because apache does NOT fully integrate into win32
> applications, security and file permissions - it's less risky, most cases
> that Apache is "defected" on the win32 platform is because of platform bugs
> in the first place.
>
> All the best,
> Jeff Cohen
> Support@GEJ-IT.com
> Tel. (416) 917-2324
> www.GEJ-IT.com
> GEJ-IT Networks!
>
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Kanta Jiwnani [mailto:kanta@cs.umd.edu]
> > Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 2:04 PM
> > To: users@httpd.apache.org
> > Subject: [users@httpd] Apache on Unix vs Apache on Windows
> >
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was looking at bugs in Apache on various platforms. I was surprised
> > when I found more bugs with Apache on Unix-based platforms as compared
> > to Windows. I expected the exact opposite. What could be the reason for
> > this? Is the code very different for these 2 platforms? OR is it because
> > support for Windows platform is recent and hence less no of bugs? Is
> > there any documentation that I could look at?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Kanta
> >
> > Graduate Research Assistant
> > Experimental Software Engineering Group
> > Department of Computer Science
> > University of Maryland, College Park
> > http://www.cs.umd.edu/~kanta
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
> > See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> >    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
> See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
>    "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
>
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message