httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nigel Peck - MIS Web Design" <ni...@miswebdesign.com>
Subject [users@httpd] graceful restart
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2003 14:35:42 GMT
I have been using "apachectl graceful" to restart httpd after adding virtual hosts for some
time. I just checked the memory on the server and found too much memory being used (3M free).
I checked the running processes and found a lot of instances of httpd running (approx 30).

I did a graceful restart, there were still the same amount.

I stopped the server, still the same amount (didn't count, there were probably a few less,
but still there with server stopped).

I started the server and it seems like it tidied them up, there are now 9 running and free
memory is back to expected level.

Is this the graceful restart leaving orphaned daemons or is nothing wrong and I'm misunderstanding
something?

Apache: 1.3.27
OS: RedHat Linux 7.3

TIA