httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] graceful restart
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:43:34 GMT

Having 30 or so daemons is not unusual for a moderately busy server
(MaxClients, which controls this, is set for a 256 default). What do you
mean by too much memory? Obviously:

MaxClients x (footprint per daemon) < (system memory)

where "<" means "a fair bit less than (e.g. no more than 50-60%)"

If your worried about memory usage, you need to restrict the daemons by
downsizing MaxClients. If this causes your site to slow down or user to
get "Connection refused" then your site is too busy for the resources
you have so get more resources (memory, faster processor etc.)

About the graceful, if you have a look inside "apachectl" (it's just a
shell-script), you'll see that "graceful" executes a "kill -USR1" on the
parent apache process. This has the effect of causing each daemon to
reload the config file from disk to memory. This allows you to pick up
config changes without dropping active requests but the processes don't
exit so no memory will be released.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Apache: 1.3.27