httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Can a miss-configuration leak source code?
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:17:48 GMT

"whatever directory" - Yes.
"whatever permission" - No. Apache cannot force execution of a file if
the OS forbids it.

>Is the AddHandler on a per server directive or can it
>be changed per VirtualHost?

Harrumph - this can easily be answered by looking at the "Context" line
on the doc-page for the AddHandler directive... To save you the bother,
here it is:

	AddHandler directive
	Context: server config, virtual host, directory, .htaccess

So, yes, it can be set at server config level (as you have done) but
also at a lower level (VH, dir, .htaccess). Note carefully that later
directives *add* to previous ones if the extension is distinct, but
*overwrite* if the extension is the same. For example;

AddHandler cgi-script .pl .xyz
<VH1>
  AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
  <DIR_A>
    AddHandler server-parsed .xyz

would mean that:

- in DIR_A of VH1, .pl and .cgi are CGIs and .xyz is SSI
- elsewhere in VH1, .pl, .cgi and .xyz are CGIs
- on all other VHs, .pl and .xyz are CGIs

If you're not careful, it *is* possible to misconfigure apache so that
your scripts are viewable. So you have to be careful. But that is always
the case with programming, so what's the problem?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Jon.

>_________
>Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
>Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

views of the sender's company.