httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Hiding webserver name/version from clients
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:41:08 GMT

See "ServerTokens" to obscure the server details. The minimum is
"Apache" which may not be sufficiently obscure for you. To obscure it
further, you can always edit the source and recompile (the power of
OSS). The simplest way would be to redefine SERVER_BASEPRODUCT in
src/include/httpd.h. This is normally set to "Apache" but you could
redefine it to "My Secret Webserver", if you think it'll do any good...

This question crops up every few months from someone who's read a
securty webpage and decided that advertising the server name is a big
security risk. Personally, I think that's rubbish - hackers do not
bother to check your server type or version before attacking you (if
they did, why does your apache server continually get pestered by Code
Red and Nimda worms which afflict only IIS?) Secondly, if you do have a
vulnerable server, they'll find you anyway - hiding your version is no
security.

Removing the server signature is about as useful as painting out the
word "Yale" on a padlock - if nobody knows who made the padlock, does it
make it more secure?

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>Many thanks,