httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <d...@hawk-systems.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] testing httpd.conf => httpd -t doesn't catch include/path errors
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:36:10 GMT
>> Currently we pull in each virtual host via a seperate conf file,  quite
>often a
>> missing or erroneous path to a log file or directory will not show up on a
>> "httpd -t", but bring the server to a halt when the actual restart is
>attempted.
>> not good.
>
>I don't think that is a correct problem description. From my experience,
>the -t switch do catch syntax errors in the httpd.conf as well included
>files, but errors such as bad paths of logs and directories aren't checked
>in either the httpd.conf nor in included files.

this may be where the assumption of inluded files came in since that is where
all the log paths are stored, and that is where all the failures end up
occuring.

>After taking a peek at the docs, I can see that this assumption of mine is
>correct. They clearly states that the -t switch is a "syntax test" only; bad
>paths are not syntax errors:
>http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/httpd.html
>
>I'd think it would be a too complex task to check paths without actually
>starting the server.

after a more detailed review of the docs on this matter
(http://httpd.apache.org/docs/stopping.html)
I may try scripting a test of the config first by starting as another user to
see if we can generate the errors and intelligently fix them prior to executing
the restart.

Anyone have sample code for this already before I reinvent the wheel?

Dave