httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Daniel L. Miller" <dmil...@amfes.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache & Frontpage
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:52:56 GMT
This is progress!  Thank you!

I must, however, respectfully point out a few items that just cost me
quite a bit of my hairline!  I think I need to do this a few times and
then write a HOWTO for this.

#1  What packages need to be installed?  You might this obvious, but
	the only one I had was "apache".  It took a bit of examination
	figure out the apxs utility is in "apache-dev", and that to
compile
	the new module you need "gcc".
#2  Initial apache configuration.  You MUST enable the ResourceConfig
and
	AccessConfig lines in httpd.conf - or you'll go NUTS trying to
figure
	out why the owsadm.exe utility keeps complaining about srm.conf.

	!@O*#&U!*(#%&!(#*%&!#*(&%!#*(&$#!*(&!!!!!!!!
	(Translation - temporary mild frustration)

#3  Where are all the files located that the install script wants.  For
	the default Debian install, that means:
	the apache daemon: /usr/sbin/apache
	the config file:	/etc/apache/httpd.conf
	the modules directory:  /usr/lib/apache/1.3

You Apache/Linux gurus might think this stuff is obvious - but take pity
on us poor slobs who are desperately trying to wean away from Micro$low
- I love the stability - but the docs need work!!!!

Thanx again for the help - next episode - what happens with Apache
v2?!?!

Daniel