httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jim Sheffer <jimshef...@blueworld.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Cronolog on OS X ?
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 21:37:19 GMT
On 7/18/03 12:12 PM, "Dirk-Willem van Gulik" <dirkx@webweaving.org> rambled
on about the following:

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Jim Sheffer wrote:
>
>> Rotatelogs is currently being used.  The problems I have are twofold.
>>
>> 1. The logname is cryptic- I know it is chronological, but it is still
>> harder to read than a dated logfile. More importantly, it uses a format of
>> access_log.********
>
> Do a man rotatelogs ...
>
> -> the logfile name can be modified and be things like
>
> /var/log/%Y%m%d%H%M.log
>
> Or whatever strftime(3) supports.

I must be looking at the wrong man pages- I don't see it...
Here's what I see:

...TransferLog "|rotatelogs /path/to/logs/access_log 86400"
This creates the files  /path/to/logs/access_log.nnnn  where
nnnn  is  the  system time at which the log nominally starts

... rotationtime The rotation time in seconds.

... The path plus basename of the logfile. The suffix .nnnn
          is automatically added.

I had also read the following post to the list... So now I'm confused...

>> Looking in the documentation on Transferlog with Rotate log, it says that it
>> stamps the log file with the system time when the file was started, like
>> access.1045094400.  Is there a way to have apache rotate logfiles with
>> date/time stamps in the file name, like access200305029.log?

>Not using that tool, unless you want to modify the source and rebuild
>it. This is fairly frequently suggested, and there are several
>third-party tools that do similar things. Chronolog, by Andrew Ford, is
>one example of such a tool. Also, there's a Perl module called
>Logfile::Rotate, which is what I use to rotate my log files.

Jim Sheffer

Blue World Communications  http://www.blueworld.com
phone: 425-646-0288  jimsheffer@blueworld.com