httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Lee" <jeffleeismyh...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Webserver using on redhat 9
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 17:11:40 GMT
Rich,

I would rather not run bind because I am not very familiar with it and if
something were to happen it could cause my clients to lose money. I do
however need a few site to use SSL but they are hosted on AS/400s so I
wouldnt need that on this server right away. Could you please email me off
the list and tell me how I go about setting up the server to work after
telling my isp whatever it is they need to know?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Gration" <richard@zync.co.uk>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 8:02 AM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Webserver using on redhat 9

On Monday 21 July 2003 17:35, Jeff Lee wrote:
> I just installed the "server" version of Redhat 9 and I am having problems
> with bind and apache. I know nothing about bind and the documents i have
> read do not explain, in a way i understand, what needs to be done to host
> website.
>
> I am trying to host around 6 domains all with thier own ip addresses. I
> think that the apache config file is setup correctly but then again i am
> new at this
>
> The server has an ip address of 64.90.9.227 I think that I gave it the ips
> of 64.90.9.232, 64.90.9.241 as well. Basically what I need is someone to
> guide me through setting up bind and apache to host one domain and I could
> figure out what I have to do to add more. Currently I am using a windows
> server to host the websites but I would much rather use linux because of
> its wide range of options. Please help me with this, I know that this is
an
> apache mailing list but considering many of you needed to use bind to host
> sites using apache I figured yall would know how to set that up as well.

Hi,

It's possible that you don't need to run bind at all ...

When you registered the domains, did they ask you for the IP address(es) of
your name server(s)? If so, did you give them one of your server's IP
addresses?

If the answer to these questions is yes, then you probably need to run your
own DNS. If not, then you don't need to, but could after asking the owner of
the IPS tag to make your server the authoritative name server for the
domain.

On the subject of multiple IPs, you can run as many non-SSL web sites as you
want off a single IP address (effected in the apache config). You only need
extra IP addresses for each SSL host after the first.

If you do decide you need to run bind, I'll be happy to help, on or off
list.

Rich