httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Grajeda <JGraj...@Telephia.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Gcc Library dependencies
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:25:23 GMT
Thanks Joshua,

I had a feeling that you could statically link the library but it doesn't
seem to work. Specifically, there is an option in configure to
--enable-static-support for support libraries. Perhaps I'm doing something
wrong, but I'll try to place the library in apache/lib and see if that
helps.

I'm installing this on Solaris 8 02/02, in case anyone knows how to
statically link this library for this platform.

Thanks again,

Jason

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 10:13 AM
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Gcc Library dependencies

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Jason Grajeda wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know why Apache2 needs this gcc library,  libgcc_s.so.1 and
> Apache 1 does not? And is there any way to remove this dependency?

Apache 2 doesn't depend directly on libgcc.  It just uses some standard
library function or other that causes gcc to bring in that library.  This
is really a gcc thing, not an apache thing.

The solutions are:

1. Tell gcc to statically link the libgcc when compiling.

2. I believe it is possible to create the static link after-compiling on
some OSes.

3. Put libgcc_s in the apache lib directory.

4. Put libgcc_s somewhere in your library search path.

The details depend on your exact platform and setup (and I probably
wouldn't know them anyway).

Joshua.