httpd-users mailing list archives

From Drew Weaver <drew.wea...@thenap.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Memory usage.
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:41:27 GMT
Actually I looked at the memory usage in top, it was 1% for each httpd.

-Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 1:18 PM
To: 'users@httpd.apache.org'
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Memory usage.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Drew Weaver wrote:

> Well I know I need mod_so for php, but the rest of this stuff im not
sure..
> All I did when I compiled apache was  ./configure
> --with-prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=so;make;make install

The base set of modules that are pretty essential for a server are
mod_dir, mod_mime, and mod_log_config.  Other than that, it depends on
what features you need.  For memory purposes, you also need to look at
your dynamically loaded modules (the LoadModule lines in httpd.conf).  php
certainly can use a good chunk of memory, again depending on what php
modules you are using and what your php scripts do.

> Also is logging a huge memory hog? I have like 150 httpd processes listed
in
> ps at any given moment, and that's gotta be a lot of logging.

As others have mentioned, logging is not a memory hog.  It does affect
performance, but it is usually considered quite essential to have proper
logging anyway.

Note also that when "ps" says you are using 5MB per httpd, it is including
memory that is shared among all the httpd processes.  What you should be
more concerned about is the amount of memory unique to each process (I
believe top lists this under the RES column).

You should also look at the performance tuning guide in the apache docs.

Joshua.