httpd-users mailing list archives

From Richard Crawford <rcrawf...@unexmail.ucdavis.edu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] International Characters and Apache 2.0.45
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 20:13:40 GMT
At 04:01 PM 7/3/2003 -0400, Joshua Silve wrote:

>Hmmm... Like "InternationalCharacters On" ;-0 (That's a joke.)
>
>Perhaps if you reported EXACTLY what was happening, and included an
>Internet-accessible URL showing the problem, then more people could help.
>
>A clue to get you started:  See the AddCharset directive in mod_mime.

Unfortunately, I can't give a publically-accessible URL for confidentiality
reasons, but here is a fuller explanation of the problem, which I sent to a
buddy of mine:

"To be honest, I have no idea where to even begin with this one -- whether
it's a Solaris issue, an Apache issue, a Cold Fusion issue, or a JRun issue.

"The problem is this: we have as part of our website a Spanish class, which
requires students to input their replies in a form by entering special
characters (e.g., ù or á or ¿) using the alt keys and their numeric
keypad.  [ALT}=[1][6][8] produces ¿ foe xample.  But when the form is sent
to the instructor, the special characters are presented as an = sign plus a
hexadecimal code.

"I suspect that this is going to turn out to be an Apache issue, but I'm
not sure; it was working fine when we were using WindowsNT with IIS and
Cold Fusion (note: I am not saying "WindowsNT is better than Unix"; may God
strike me dead if I utter such blasphemy)."

Hope that clears things up at least a bit.