httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Denise Mangano" <Deni...@complusdata.com>
Subject [users@httpd] restricting directory access but allow file access - urgent
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 02:27:51 GMT
Hi everyone.

This one is urgent, so I thought to post this as I'm fishing through the
archives.  I am wondering exactly how I should have my httpd.conf
configured to allow the following scenario.

   DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/clients"
   <Directory "/var/www/html/clients">
     Options -Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews Includes
     AllowOverride none
     Order deny,allow
     Deny from all

    #Access for main directory html files
     <Files *.html>
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
     </Files>
   </Directory>

If I have the clients directory set to Allow all, any subdirectory that
I create under it will automatically be accessible.  However, there are
certain directories that I do not want accessible but have to be in the
same directory.  What I wanted to do was restrict access to the entire
directory, then create aliases for the directories that I want to be
accessible.  I also need serve a few html files out of the clients
directory.

When I try the setting above I get a 403 Forbidden message even thought
www.mywebsite is supposed to resolve to index.html which if I understand
the Files directive should be accessible to all.  Is this scenario
possible?  Please let me know if I need to explain further.

Denise Mangano
Complus Data Innovations, Inc.