httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Public_html brain gas
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 03:45:08 GMT
drwx-------- is common for home directories.  In octal notation, that is
0700.  It keeps all other users out of your home directory.  You would
probably be better off setting your home directory to 0711.  While other
users would be able go into your home directory, they cannot do
directory listing and have to know the exact file or directory name to
find anything (security though obscurity, if you will).  In the case of
Apache, it knows exactly what it is looking for.

Also, you said you set the directory to 677, I assume you meant 766, 677
would be very bad :-) .  I do not think 766 would work very well, since
directories need the executable bit set to be traversed.  I think 766 is
supposed to be 755.