httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] load balancing
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:41:12 GMT
You have several options available.  The most simple being DNS
round-robin, but this setup does not handle failed servers very well (if
you control the DNS server, there are some creative things you can do).
  You could also have a front-end Apache server that uses mod-rewrite to
distribute load; examples are in the mod_rewrite documentation.  Then
you have the high-end solutions, like a hardware load-balancer device,
or software load balancer which require a dedicated server, ie IBM's
Edge Server (the compontent used is what used to be Network Dispatcher)
or something like the Linux Virtual Server project
(http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/).