httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Handling site outage gracefully
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:04:01 GMT
Well, this might work:

You probably have several URIs defined with mod_jk so that when they are
requested, they are forworded to the tomcat server.  Say you have a
servlet defined "/foo/bar".  Create a /foo/bar directory under your
document root that has an index page with the custom error message you
want displayed.  When the tomcat server goes down, the request should
not be forwarded and the contents of the /foo/bar directory would be
used instead.  It is worth a shot, I know this would work with WebSphere
which is were most of my experience with java app servers comes from.