httpd-users mailing list archives

From Aaron Morris <aaronmor...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] warn/error child processes not exiting around log rotation time
Date Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:37:06 GMT
This probably has nothing to do with rotating the logs, but more or less
because you are restarting the server processes.  The child processes
themselves do not actually log anything to the log files, the parent
apache process does this (in fact, the log files should be set
specifically so that the child processes may not write to them).

I have seen this before, and I believe this is what happens:  When you
stop an apache instance, the parent processes sends a signal to the
child processes to exit when they have completed with their current
request.  If the processes are still serving requests or are "stuck" and
do not die after a certain time period, then the parent process takes
more extreme measures to kill the processes.

I am not quite sure why one would restart apache when rotating logs.  I
read something about it on the apache site, but it never really
explained why you need to restart it.  I basically just copy the log to
a temp location for processing or compression and then just ">logfile"
which basically erases the contents.  Never had a problem doing it that
way, perhaps someone could enlighten me to why this would be a "bad idea".

Dave [Hawk-Systems] wrote:
> any takers on this one too?
>

>>[Fri Jul 11 00:01:05 2003] [warn] child process 34398 still did not exit,
>>sending a SIGTERM
>>[Fri Jul 11 00:01:05 2003] [warn] child process 36992 still did not exit,
>>sending a SIGTERM
>>[Fri Jul 11 00:01:09 2003] [error] child process 34398 still did not exit,
>>sending a SIGKILL
>>[Fri Jul 11 00:01:09 2003] [error] child process 36992 still did not exit,
>>sending a SIGKILL
>>[Fri Jul 11 00:01:09 2003] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
>>
>>give the time, I am assuming this has something to do wit the fact that I
>>rotated and renamed the log files around that time and some of the child
>>processes werent finished writing to them?
>>
>>should we stop the server, rotate the logs, then restart rather than
>>the current
>>method which is rotate, stop, restart?
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>Dave