httpd-users mailing list archives

From stephane parenton <steph...@parenton.com>
Subject [users@httpd] vhosts are so simple !
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:46:13 GMT
Hi everyone,

I've read things about vhosts and nothing seemed to be very hard.... it
was quite trivial.... so it's quite self-confident that i'm trying to
set virtual hosts on a server. It's a RH 7.3 with apache 1.3.27 compiled
in order to handle postgres and mysql db. I had only one domain to
handle so far, and everything was fine. Now i'm trying to put another
domain, and things are going wrong....

First of all, I tell apache that i will use virtualhosts

NameVirtualHost *

Then, as I already have a domain, I tell apache that it exists....

<VirtualHost *>
        DocumentRoot /web/mydomain.tld
        ServerName www.mydomain.tld
 </VirtualHost>

and I declare the other domain right there :

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin     admin@mydomain.tld
        DocumentRoot /web/anotherdomain.tld
        ServerName www.anotherdomain.tld
 </VirtualHost>

i restart apache and verify this configuration with

httpd-S

and  it gives :

VirtualHost configuration:
wildcard NameVirtualHosts and _default_ servers:
*:80                   is a NameVirtualHost
                       default server www.mydomain.tld
(/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:175)
                       port 80 namevhost www.mydomain.tld
(/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:175)
                       port 80 namevhost www.anotherdomain.tld
(/usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:181)

so far so good ! but when i grab my favorite browser, and enter
http://www.anotherdomain.tld/, i have this error...

The following error was encountered:

    * Connection Failed

The system returned:

    (111) Connection refused

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

damn !

I don't have specified that i wanted an accessfilename in the vhost
definition, though i have the line for the main domain (not rewrote in
the vhost... is it bad ?)...
i only have an index.html in the /web/anotherdomain.tld/ directory, and
its rigths are 644, owned by the anotherdomain user, and the group is
apache...

What could be wrong ?....