httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Nokes <jeff_no...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] httpd single process mode and httpd.pid
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:12:23 GMT
Hello,

First I'd like to apologize if this question is covered somewhere in the
archive, UseNet or on the web somewhere, but I could not find it anywhere.

I'm currently running Apache 1.3.28 on RedHat 7.2, I compiled from source and
am not using the RPM.  I'm running multiple instances of Apache binded to
different ports, allowing each one to be a "sandbox" for a developer.
Everything seems to be working just fine, but I am seeing one unusual
behavior.

When I start one of these instances of apache using 'apachectl start', it
creates the httpd.pid file fine, and all the processes start up just fine.
When I use 'apachectl stop' to shut this instance of apache down, it shuts
down just fine as  well, and the httpd.pid file is deleted.

When I run 'httpd -X &' to get that instance of apache running in single
process mode, it starts up one process just fine, and again creates the
httpd.pid file just fine as well.  When I try to stop this instance using
'apachectl stop', it stops that single process just fine, but id DOES NOT
delete the existing httpd.pid file.  So, when I start it up again, I'll see
the warning messages in the error log saying it detected an old httpd.pid
file.

This really isn't causing any performance issues, but I was wondering if there
was a way to get the httpd.pid to delete when shutting down apache running in
single process mode?  I like doing development in single process mode first,
if it's possible.  I looked at the apachectl script and I can see that it is
not responsible for removing the httpd.pid file, so I'm assuming the httpd
executable is.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get proper clean-up of the
httpd.pid file when running in single process mode?  Thanks in advance.
- Jeff