httpd-users mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Cronolog on OS X ?
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2003 09:04:43 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Jim Sheffer wrote:

> I must be looking at the wrong man pages- I don't see it...
> Here's what I see:
>
> ...TransferLog "|rotatelogs /path/to/logs/access_log 86400"

Perhaps a bit further below is where you want to read:

OPTIONS
       logfile
              The path plus basename of the logfile.  If  logfile
              includes  any % characters, it is treated as a for-
              mat string for strftime(3).  Otherwise, the  suffix
              .nnnn  is  automatically  added  and is the time at
              which the logfile was created.

The full page is below. The trick to not get it to restart a new log on
each restart is to make sure you pick the right granularity of time.

Dw.

[burly:~] dirkx% uname -a
Darwin burly.leiden.webweaving.org 6.6 Darwin Kernel Version 6.6: Thu May  1 21:48:54 PDT
2003; root:xnu/xnu-344.34.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh powerpc
[burly:~] dirkx% man rotatelogs
rotatelogs(8)                                       rotatelogs(8)

NAME
       rotatelogs - rotate Apache logs without having to kill the
       server

SYNOPSIS
       rotatelogs logfile rotationtime [offset]

DESCRIPTION
       rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with
       Apache's  piped  logfile  feature  which  can be used like
       this:

          TransferLog  "|   rotatelogs   /path/to/logs/access_log
       86400"

       This creates the files /path/to/logs/access_log.nnnn where
       nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally  starts
       (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time,
       so you can synchronize cron scripts with it).  At the  end
       of  each  rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is
       started.

OPTIONS
       logfile
              The path plus basename of the logfile.  If  logfile
              includes  any % characters, it is treated as a for-
              mat string for strftime(3).  Otherwise, the  suffix
              .nnnn  is  automatically  added  and is the time at
              which the logfile was created.

       rotationtime
              The rotation time in seconds.

       offset The number of minutes offset from UTC.  If omitted,
              zero  is  assumed and UTC is used.  For example, to
              use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify  a
              value of -300 for this argument.

SEE ALSO
       httpd(8)

                            March 2001              rotatelogs(8)