httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul Chvostek <paul+apa...@it.ca>
Subject [users@httpd] Logging to MySQL?
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:04:00 GMT

I've been looking at Apache's mod_log_mysql and mod_mylo, and if I don't
need the extended featureset offered by mod_log_mysql, I can't help but
wonder if I'd get any better performance than with something like:

 LogFormat "INSERT INTO httpdlog (vhost,host,logname,...) ('%v','%h','%l',...);" mysqlfmt
 CustomLog "|/usr/local/bin/mysql -uuser -ppass logdb" mysqlfmt

Aside from the potential security issue of having a MySQL password
visible to a 'ps' command, what's the disadvantage of simply piping
INSERT statements directly into the text client?

I would think that a single instance of the mysql text client would
count as a "persistent" connection, and even the overhead of a shell
wrapper can't be much more than that of the mod_log_mysql DSO.

Any thoughts?  Do I really need the module?  Will it save me memory?

--
  Paul Chvostek                                             <paul@it.ca>
  Operations / Abuse / Whatever