httpd-users mailing list archives

From Garth Winter Webb <ga...@perijove.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Passing REMOTE_ADDR in a ProxyPass
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:01:11 GMT
Hi, I've got a proxy server set up with several name based virtual
hosts.  Each virtual host ProxyPass's to another apache instance that
serves the content.  I would like to run a web log analyzer on one of
these apache instances behind the proxy server.

The problem is that the proxy server sets the REMOTE_ADDR environmental
variable to its IP address when it forwards the request along, when
really I want it to send the IP address of the machine that originally
requested the document.  Since it sends its own IP, the log analyzer
thinks that every single request came from my proxy machine.

I've been unable to find any directives in:

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html

that address this.  I've also looked at RewriteRule with the 'E' flag to
pass along the REMOTE_ADDR information, but I can't seem to make it
work.  This is my attempt:

    RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8525/$1
[P,E=REMOTE_ADDR:env=REMOTE_ADDR]

Thanks!