httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Nick Koston" <n...@cpanel.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: Perl Processes "Zombie-Out"...
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2003 17:51:17 GMT
Here is what I know so far

1. Its a bug in 1.3.28, 1.2.37 is NOT AFFECTED.
2. This appears to only happen when using suexec (I have not tested that
theory yet though)
3. The bug is in src/main/alloc.c.
4. The attached patch which has been backported from 1.3.27 fixes the
problem.
5. This should be considered serious enough to release 1.3.29 as I've
watched about 10 systems spiral down to their doom as a result of this.
6.  A Quick How to replicate the problem:

a) Put a this script in your cgi-bin
--cut here--
#!/usr/bin/php
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
--cut here--

b) Go to it your web browser.  Click reload over and over again (this
will eventually cause a sigpipe).

c) watch the zombies build up

Thanks!
/Nick