httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] testing httpd.conf => httpd -t doesn't catch include/path errors
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:02:57 GMT
Dave [Hawk-Systems wrote:
> Currently we pull in each virtual host via a seperate conf file,  quite
often a
> missing or erroneous path to a log file or directory will not show up on a
> "httpd -t", but bring the server to a halt when the actual restart is
attempted.
> not good.

I don't think that is a correct problem description. From my experience,
the -t switch do catch syntax errors in the httpd.conf as well included
files, but errors such as bad paths of logs and directories aren't checked
in either the httpd.conf nor in included files.

After taking a peek at the docs, I can see that this assumption of mine is
correct. They clearly states that the -t switch is a "syntax test" only; bad
paths are not syntax errors:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/programs/httpd.html

I'd think it would be a too complex task to check paths without actually
starting the server.

Regards,
Robert Andersson