httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Hilgeman" <jhilge...@red-tea-rooibos.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Segmentation Faults... Still
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 15:39:07 GMT
Hello All,

I'm re-posting this here - hopefully someone will respond with -something-
as I really don't have any other ideas.

I run a store using the osCommerce engine, written completely in PHP (but I
don't believe it is a PHP problem).  Every once in a blue moon, during
secure checkout, I'll get a "Page cannot be displayed" error. If I check the
main Apache error log, I see a Segmentation fault (11) entry that
corresponds to that error.

I've re-checked my code, and made sure all things SSL are set up correctly,
but I'm still getting this error from time to time. I can't reproduce it,
either, which makes tracking it down even harder. I'm running:

Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) PHP/4.3.0 mod_ssl/2.8.10 OpenSSL/0.9.6d

... on a RH 7.1 system. I have a nagging feeling that since it's so random
(except for the fact that it only happens with secure pages), that it's
something to do with OpenSSL, but that's just a guess.

I've lowered the LogLevel to info, and now I'm seeing a few new things,
although I'm not sure if they're even related. However, just in case they
are... I first noticed in my main error log file that there were entries
saying the server was busy, suggesting to increase StartServers or the
Min/Max spares. So I tweaked that and it went away. However, in my virtual
domain's error log file, I get this error several times:

[DATE/TIME] [info] [client IP_ADDRESS] (104)Connection reset by peer: client
stopped connection before rwrite completed

And this error just a few times:

[DATE/TIME] [info] [client IP_ADDRESS] (32)Broken pipe: client stopped
connection before rwrite completed

I'm still getting these notices - I don't know if it's people pressing stop
on their browser or what. I did a few searches but couldn't come up with
anything better than the idea that it's related to mod_rewrite in some way.

Also, in my regular Apache error log (not related to any domain), I keep
getting these messages:

[Wed Jul 30 20:49:35 2003] [info] server seems busy, (you may need to
increase StartServers, or Min/MaxSpareServers), spawning 8 children, there
are 33 idle, and 57 total children

Right now, StartServers is 35, Min is 35, and Max is 50. I don't get these
messages AS often anymore. When StartServers was at 5, my log was full of
them. Should I just keep increasing these numbers then? What happens if I
increase them too much? I keep hearing from different people that the site
will often give them a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error, and they need to
refresh for the page to load. I don't know if these two are related, but I
figured I might as well throw it in, just in case.

Thank you for your time!

- Jonathan Hilgeman