httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Occasional 120-second delay in responding to first request (2.0.46 / Windows 2000)
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2003 05:12:50 GMT
Asad Chaudhary wrote:
> ... but then experience a 120 second (every time I've remembered to
> time it, it's been exactly 2 minutes) delay in loading the first page.
> [snip]
> Apache is NOT set to do reverse lookups for logging purposes, ...

It do sound like Apache attempts some action which times out after 120 s. I
understand that this delay is experienced by each unique client when doing
its first request, right? A failed reverse DNS loopup is the only thing that
comes to mind that would fit that.

A debugging tip: On low-traffic time, setup a sniffer (eg. Ethereal) and
launch a request from a client predicted to experience the delay and save
the packages during the delay. Then, find the client's request packet(s) and
note information like its IP address, and see if you can find any subsequent
traffic that might be related to the request. In particular, look for any
outbound DNS requests. Don't rule out a DNS issue even though you don't find
anything!

If the above test come out negative, it may be due to a broken configuration
or system, depending on something that isn't available [anymore]. Try to
install a parallell Apache with vanilla configuration, and see if it suffers
the same problems.

I'm out of ideas.

Regards,
Robert Andersson