httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Hilgeman" <jhilge...@red-tea-rooibos.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Tracking down a Segmentation Fault
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:08:55 GMT
Hello All,

I'm posting this here in hopes that someone else has had this problem in the
past.

I run a store using the osCommerce engine, written completely in PHP (but I
don't believe it is a PHP problem). Every once in a blue moon, during secure
checkout, I'll get a "Page cannot be displayed" error. If I check the main
Apache error log, I see a Segmentation fault (11) entry that corresponds to
that error.

I've re-checked my code, and made sure all things SSL are set up correctly,
but I'm still getting this error from time to time. I can't reproduce it,
either, which makes tracking it down even harder. I'm running:

Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) PHP/4.3.0 mod_ssl/2.8.10 OpenSSL/0.9.6d

... on a RH 7.1 system. I have a nagging feeling that since it's so random
(except for the fact that it only happens with secure pages), that it's
something to do with OpenSSL, but that's just a guess.

I've lowered the LogLevel to info, and now I'm seeing a few new things,
although I'm not sure if they're even related. However, just in case they
are... I first noticed in my main error log file that there were entries
saying the server was busy, suggesting to increase StartServers or the
Min/Max spares. So I tweaked that and it went away. However, in my virtual
domain's error log file, I get this error several times:
[DATE/TIME] [info] [client IP_ADDRESS] (104)Connection reset by peer: client
stopped connection before rwrite completed

And this error just a few times:
[DATE/TIME] [info] [client IP_ADDRESS] (32)Broken pipe: client stopped
connection before rwrite completed

I'm still getting these notices - I don't know if it's people pressing stop
on their browser or what. I did a few searches but couldn't come up with
anything better than the idea that it's related to mod_rewrite in some way.

Thank you for your time!

- Jonathan Hilgeman