httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Memory usage.
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:30:00 GMT
As for the modules, run through the docs at apache.org and see what they do.
Remove them one at a time, reload the server, and make sure everything still
works.  Do that until you've trimmed all the fat out.

> Anything in there that I really don't need that would kill my performance?
> Also is logging a huge memory hog? I have like 150 httpd processes listed
in
> ps at any given moment, and that's gotta be a lot of logging.

Well, if you are only serving up a 5k file to 2 people, you don't need 150
processes running.  Change the StartServers value to something lower, and
lower your MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers to something lower to keep
them from hanging around after the request is done.  Be sure to restart the
server after making changes.

As for logging, it only logs when something happens.  Logging uses very
little memory, and stresses your I/O more than anything else.

-Jacob