httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Cohen" <supp...@gej-it.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] strange problem with /icons alias and FollowSymLinks
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:17:49 GMT

Alias /icons/ "/usr/local/apache/icons/"

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/icons">
  Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

Following this config, you can tell why it wasn't working, there's a
trailing slash at the Alias directive, but no trailing slash at the
Directory directive, this is to avoid browsing option on the icons
directory.
If you'd like to remove the ReWrite use:

Alias /icons /usr/local/apache/icons

<Directory /usr/local/apache/icons>
  Options Indexes MultiViews
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

Pretty sure that would satisfy the request.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@GEJ-IT.com
Tel. (416) 917-2324
www.GEJ-IT.com
GEJ-IT Networks!

FollowSymLinks

> I have a server in place that has several web sites on it.  I need to add
> RewriteRule to one of them, so to experiment around with it I created a
second
> virtualhost that only I know about that points to the same disk location
as the
> production site.  On part of this site, I browse a directory structure,
letting Apache
> generate it's directory index pages, complete with the built in icons for
different
> file types.
>
> The problem was when I added 'RewriteEngine on', the icons stopped
working.  I
> get this error in the log when I try to access an icon:
> [Fri Jul 18 15:35:23 2003] [error] [client 192.168.10.50] Options
FollowSymLinks